First-Year Honors Mentor Program
Each spring semester, FHP students are given the opportunity for first-hand research experience research by working under the guidance of an Iowa State faculty mentor. There are a wide range of research opportunities to choose from involving many disciplines and departments.
Students and faculty mentors are matched through a web-based process that lets you and prospective mentors rank projects, interests and skills. You could work on a project that is in your field of study, pick a topic that helps you decide on a major or explore a field you just enjoy. Students work 3 or 6 hours per week, earning either one or two credits of Hon 290.
Mentor Program Forms
Mentor Program Timetable
- September: Faculty register and describe their research.
- October: Students register and preference mentors; mentors review and preference students
- November: Students & faculty are matched (and sometimes re-matched) on mutual interests; students meet with prospective mentors; complete and submit contracts; register for Hon 290 credit.
- January: Students begin working with mentors.
- March: Students meet for a midterm discussion group.
- April: Projects completed; final evaluations completed.